Monday, March 06, 2006

Monday Moanings...

In the 'I wasn't expecting that' department:
Today wasn't a bad day. It was actually a pretty good one all things considered. My co-workers and I who worked on Saturday when the entire communication system went down and got through it okay, were commended by our boss and given a whole three dollars to use in the cafeteria... three bucks? I think I'll wet my pants... I guess I shouldn't whine about it... at least my boss noticed. And just before my annual review. I guess I'll be allowed to come into work and actually get paid for it...
Tonight, I went to the restaurant that I like to go to on Mondays. I always order the same thing: a pizza with chicken and pineapple as toppings and an iced tea. I chose to go on Mondays because the pizza is on special every Monday, and my ex-girlfriend's daughter, who works there, always had Monday off... the key word in that last line is 'had' because I walked in tonight and who takes my order but Kelley. I froze for a second, but smiled and said hello. I was polite through the entire meal. She was very nice to me too, but I think that's because it's her job. However, to her credit, she stopped and asked me how I was doing. I said 'fine' and left it at that. I asked her how she was doing and how school was... she took time and told me all about what she's been doing in school etc., and I told her that I was very proud of her. She knew I meant it and she had a big grin on her face. I told her that I usually go there on Mondays and that I never seen her there before on that day. She told me her schedule changed so she'll be working on Mondays now... My head was swimming while she went to refill my iced tea... do I continue to come out on Mondays or should I distance myself from her and more importantly, to keep me from thinking about her mom? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I am not going to stop being who I am. I like my chicken and pineapple pizza and that's where I go... I didn't ask her to change her schedule... I'm tired of having to adjust to the ex and her family... the heck with it... Kel will adjust to my being there on Mondays just fine. When she brought my tea back, I asked about her brother and how he was doing. She was very generic in the response and I left it at that. I got up to leave and she said "I guess I'll see you next Monday. " I said 'okay' and tipped her and left. I did not ask(nor do I care to) about her mom. That woman is in a whole other world and I have no desire to be a part of that... In the past when I would come home, I'd think about the ex and be miserable... I came home tonight and am in a pretty darn good mood. I guess I've turned the corner...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Time heals all/most wounds :)

chicken and pineapple mik? lol

Mik said...

Verrrry Funny JXN, YES, chicken and pineapple!!! :) And Bacon and pineapple too! I guess that makes a good question everyone can answer... what are your favorite toppings on your pizza? As for the wounds, while it's true that time does heal all wounds, it's the friendship and concern of some good people that help speed the process along. Thanks for being part of the JXN... along with the rest of you... Ophelia, Riccie, Maggs, etc... Thank you...

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Mik. Baby steps. First you sit, then you crawl. This is a good moment for you and your should be proud.
Actually, I prefer canadian bacon and pineapple-but, to each his own. Here's a smile :)