Monday, February 26, 2007

There But For the Grace of God... Go I...

It's been a blur around the Toledo area as of late. Last week (after my last post), the community was rocked to its core by the murder of an undercover cop. He was 35 years old and the kid that shot him down was 15 freakin' years old. He got wacked at about 4 in the morning. What in the world is a 15 year-old doing hangning out in the middle of the night? A truly senseless loss of life. They buried him today and they had to move it to a larger church because the one he belonged to was too small. The cop was a Toledo cop but lived a couple of miles over the border of Ohio and Michigan. That's how I am. I live a few miles over the Michigan - Ohio border, but still call Toledo home. But police from 35 states and Canada were represented. It was really sad. He leaves behind a wife and two kids aged six and four. The whole thing was televised on all the local TV stations... very sad.

In other news, I'm feeling a lot better. My voice is almost back to normal. My anti-biotics are finally working. I missed a couple of days of work including Wednesday. That day was Haley's final chemo treatment. When she came to see me and the co-workers, there was a surprise pizza party (with cake and ice cream) and she was totally floored. I was so bummed that I missed it. She was asking for me the whole time. I was not going to give her any germs with her immune system as compromised as it is... But she's supposed to come back for some more blood work to check her numbers so I will get to see her a couple of more times. I guess it tells you how important and precious life really is... When in doubt, love.

Heard from the nephew. He's going through sheer hell training to be a marine. He's 19, scared, and alone. But he's growing up and hopefully it will help him mature. I miss him right now though. It's really a dull world without him around here. But I'll see him in April when he graduates boot camp. Life... some survive it. Some throw it away, some appreciate it. Some are grateful for the opportunity... NEVER take it for granted...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

put me down as grateful for the opportunity :)
That sick spell was a doozie, huh mik :(

P.S. rumor has it Tubby is gone after this year. Any thought on who the new coach should be?

Mik said...

Yeah,
It whipped me pretty good. No question about it. I'm still not quite 100% yet (about 95%) but thank God I am soooo much better than I was...
So Barnhart wasn't too happy on Monday. I watched the game on wednesday where they drubbed Georgia. I think it is going to depend how far in the post season Tubby can take them. That will dictate job security. I'm not ready to write him off just yet! I guess sunday's matchup will be telling...