Monday, July 16, 2007

Gratitude...

What a time...
Right now I'm swooning thinking about tons of things that are going through my brain at the moment. First off, a huge thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes. It meant a great deal to me. I had a GREAT weekend. And the term 'great' doesn't even begin to cover the weekend I had. But first things first. The sisters update: not much more new to say other than Terri is going to get her next chemo treatment tomorrow. I know that is going to kick her butt... I'm not looking forward to that, but it's a necessary evil if we're going to keep her going. Lou is still a bit of an enigma. She still has some kidney issues and hopefully those will get rectified. But she's been 'out of sorts' as of late and I'm really beginning to get concerned. I hope that her docs make some decisions. Okay, now to the weekend. Two words: GAL PAL... My gal pal has been nothing short of A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I saw her on Friday and just smiled as I threw my arms around her. Her parents took me to a ball game (which is what I wanted to go see) and treated me like a million bucks. On Saturday, I spent the day with my gal pal and to say that she is awesome does not do her justice. I can't even begin to find the words to say what this woman has brought to me emotionally. I've gotten more out of holding her hand and seeing her smile than I've gotten out of any other intimate relationship I've ever had. That's not an attempt to insult those other people, but it is just a tribute to the beauty, warmth and tenderness that is my gal pal. She is an awesome, beautiful, Christian who has good, grounded beliefs and to say that she is an inspiration to me doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.
Saturday night brought a cookout. Not just a cookout like I'm used to where maybe six or seven people would show up and grill a hot dog or two and have some chips and everyone would pound beers till they passed out... I was blessed and I do mean BLESSED by my gal pal's family. I mean her whole family came as in uncles, aunts (hi Sundae), grandparents, cousins, friends, etc., and they all brought just obscene amounts of food. And the big ol' fish fry was wonderful. And I think I had two servings of fish. Interesting, considering that I don't even like fish. It was THAT good. I couldn't believe what these people (most of whom didn't even really know me. They only knew of me) went and did for me. Even her cousin and and a friend of hers broke out the guitars on a warm and breezy evening and started playing some music. Most of the people there go to the same church so I knew I'd see them the next day. The birthday cake they had made for me was HUGE... and very delicious. I think I had three pieces. I was dumbfounded. They all just shrugged it off as nothing more than hospitality, but I couldn't even fathom such wonderful kindness to what amounted to a stranger. They get together and fellowship and picnic outside like this on a somewhat regular basis. But they all came up to me and sang happy birthday to me twice and were so happy to see me with the gal pal. They took a picture or two of us and when I get them from her, I'll pop them up here.
Sunday brought a quiet day for me. It was the actual b-day for yours truly. I just went to church with the gal pal and her family and we went to lunch afterwards. We had a really wonderful weekend and I wanted to spend some quiet time with my best gal. We spent Sunday afternoon with a movie and some time talking and really enjoying each other's company. Looking in her eyes, I found myself falling in love with her over and over again. Spent more time with her family and friends and found myself in a very odd position of getting ready to head home and embark on the long drive, but my heart wanted to stay there. I wanted to just sit and watch the sun set with mi amour. The sun went down while we were sitting at her computer (i'm such a romantic...ha!) and I left and made the long trek home and knew my heart was smiling a mile wide inside.Well, today finds me back to reality as another work week begins. Also, today is the second year anniversary of my dad's passing. I still miss him. We didn't always have the closest of relationships but we pulled it together in the last five years of his life here on earth. He really showed what it was to love someone and I learned that from him. He loved his family and he loved God and even though it took us a while to patch things up... yep, he even loved me... I miss you dad. I know you're happy in Heaven with the truest love of your life. Give mom a hug and kiss for me and enjoy your eternal rewards... oh, and if you think about it, tell God I said thanks for giving me you as my dad... I'm sure He knows, but tell Him anyway, okay? And tell Him how grateful I am for our family and my gal pal and her family too! I love them all... I really do...

3 comments:

Sundae said...

I am so glad that you and your gal pal had such a wonderful weekend. Seems like the two of you are just crazy about each other and I think it is great! She has a happiness that I have never seen before. Thank you for being a kind and wonderful man. I will keep praying for you sisters. You take care.

Unknown said...

I am happy :) and.................speechless

I didn't know the anniversary of your dad's death was so close. :(

Erica said...

Glad you had a wonderful birthday and got to spend it with the most wonderful gal in the world. :) Yes, her family is awesome! You will be blessed again and again by their hospitality and love. Everyone of them is a gem and I feel so privileged to know them!