Friday, April 20, 2007

Logistics, Language, and Lingo...




Alright kids, I swiped these pics from Jackson... She is amazing...
I'm trying to figure out some stuff here and I am trying to have a sense of humor about it... First, some logistics:
Temperature when I left Kentucky: 72 degrees. The temp when I got home to Toledo: 40 with rain and wind. Since then, the weather has improved dramatically here. How much southern lingo did I pick up whilst I was there? Not a lot. I have noticed an increase in my use of the term 'y'all' but not much else. I still have a smile on my face thinking about the trip. I can't help it. Jackson is such a hoot. And I hope to go back there and see her and her family again...
Okay a funny moment... sort of: My sister calls me at work as she is a bit riled up. Apparently some kid at school has had it in for my little nephew Dyl. Last year, this kid called Dyl a 'spic' and a 'dirty little mexican'... (my thought: the kid is too young to have those thoughts on his own) ... well, a teacher heard it and made the kid and Dyl go to a meeting and 'resolve' the issue by saying how wrong it was to say that and not to do it again. A valid point to a minor degree. Well, apparently the kid didn't seem to get the message that he wasn't supposed to talk like that in school anymore. He saw Dyl at recess and came up to him and called him those names again. This time around, Dyl opted for a ten year old's alternative to rationalizing things out. He dropped the kid flat out with one punch. Another teacher witnessed the whole thing. She made Dyl follow her and took him to his regular teacher. When asked about it, Dyl just shrugged his shoulders and said "I wasn't doing anything. But I bet he doesn't call me that again." Oh, to be ten again... After hearing what happened, Dyl's teacher told him to go out and play. Apparently the other kid is in a bit of trouble. Hmm... go figure. I can only imagine what the his parents are saying... Or maybe the kid actually was saying what his parents say... who knows? I just know that I'm proud of my nephew. Not that I condone violence. But sometimes you just gotta stand up for yourself and settle things before they get worse. Dyl wants to be a rock musician. Not a boxer. But he knows how to protect himself and his little brother too... Apparently now so do the other kids on the playground...
Last random thought before I go get some shuteye: Haley's new baby brother, Tristan has some big time complications with his heart (holes and the wiring is a mess) and he'll require multiple operations to have a shot at living. Sorry to end on such a down note. But that just flat out whizzes... But Haley is doing better and I'm grateful to God for that. Keep fighting Tristan. I hope you have some of Dyl's spunk. Lord, he's in your hands...

No comments: