Thursday, August 17, 2006

In the Cards...

 Howdy,
Had today off from work and slept in today for the first time in forever. I went to sleep just before 3am and woke up around 9am... I was tired and laid in bed till about 10 and went to eat breakfast down the road. I came home and mowed the lawn and did some work to get things prepared for the upcoming sports seasons: football and (more important to me) hockey!  I can't wait for everything to start up again next week.
I feel pretty good after going to play poker with the boys on Wednesday night. My buddy was in okay spirits, all things considered. He was a little subdued but tried to keep joking around a little.  We all toasted him with a drink and talked for the longest time before we finally decided to play cards. He knows he doesn't have long. So he's trying to do some things that we all did for years in the past: play another round of golf together at a great course, get together and be wacky over some sushi... after he left to go home, some of the rest of us were talking about how precious life truly is. No matter how bad things can be, we know that we are very fortunate (read: blessed) because we are not in the situation that he's in. Since most of the guys (with the exception of me and one other guy) are doctors, the prognosis is obvious... maybe a year if he's lucky, more than likely, six months.  Most of the guys have a minimal belief in God. They don't talk much about it. But we all agreed that we have to pray for him.  He's not the most spiritual guy, but I think at his heart, he believes in God...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always wondered about "salvation." I've heard people who say you have to accept God and what Jesus did on the cross and I don't deny that but then I've heard others say that a belief in God is all that matters.

This might be a chance for you mik to really talk to the guys about spiritual things.

Maggs said...

Hmmmm...maybe Jackson is right. I know that there are few people that I can talk about God with and you are one of them.