Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks


















It's Thanksgiving... You might think there's not a lot in my life to be thankful for... but that would be just flat out wrong! My sister Lou told us she wants us to stop everything. She is in agony and has had enough. We are looking at Hospice and considering some other options. We'll discuss things as a family and make some very tough choices. But I am thankful... I'm thankful we know her wishes and will be able to honor her requests. I'm thankful that while she's suffering, we don't have to guess what to do, thereby saving a lot of angst. I'm thankful that with them implementing hospice care, they can make Lou comfortable for what ever time she has left. Most of all, I'm thankful that we can prepare for what is upcoming. Most folks don't get time to prepare or say goodbye. We get that time... It won't be easy. It never is. But we've got a lot to be thankful for... I hope you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving. If you don't live in the States, then I hope you have a great Thursday...

5 comments:

Linda :) said...

Wishing you a Blessed Thanksgiving and always Special Thoughts... :)

Helen said...

I have been wondering how things were going. Thanks for the update. May God be with Lou and this family on this hard to face journey. It is hard to have to go through with a family member then a time for giving thanks because she will no longer be in pain. God bless you all. Prayers and hugs to all of you. Helen

Ken Riches said...

Hospice is a wonderful organization, very caring for to all involved (we experienced this in April when my Stepfather passed). I am thankful today that you are with family and can spend time.

Carolyn said...

Mik, I know you guys had a Blessed Thanksgiving, and had time to spend with Lou. While it's so hard and painful for you all, it will be the best for Lou. I'm glad you're getting hospice care- they are wonderful. My father in law had the best care and was able to be at home so we could all spend extra time with him that we wouldn't have had if he'd been in the hospital. He was able to spend a little time holding my son who was a baby at the time, and it meant the world to him to be able to do that- it meant the world to me too.
God Bless you all Mik- you know our prayers are with you and your precious family.

ADB said...

It is good to know when the time has come to change approach, Mik. I hope Lou can be made comfortable, and wish you all strength in coping with what is to come.

Guido