Monday, July 28, 2008

Nine, Nign, Nein...

ahhhh, more fun...
So, Lou is doing MUCH better. She had to be dialyzed NINE days in a row... Crap! They took ninety... (wait)... NINETY freakin' pounds of fluid off of her. She's antsy and frustrated and wants to get out of there desperately. But she knows that she has to be patient. The infection has to be cleared up and once that happens, they can amputate the other leg. So that's where things are right now. I'm glad she's feeling better. But I think she knows that she's got a boatload of therapy ahead of her. Not something she's thrilled about, but she knows there's no other way. The one area where she's improved a little bit too is that her kidneys appear to be working again. She's had some output so that's a good thing. Slow steps... anyway. There was one really nice moment that we had that I've never done before. Lou was in her hospital bed and was talking about how anxious and frustrated she was... I told her that nothing I said could change that. I couldn't pretend to know what she was going through. It was something I felt lost about. But I told her that she needed to get into the Word because the enemy would use her anxiety against her. That he would use a spirit of fear against her. She looked at me and said "would you read some to me?" How could I not? I knew she needed some reassurance about herself and about feeling better in her faith. I read her some scripture from Phillipians and after I read it, I started talking to her and telling her about what I thought it meant. I told her about the story of the author of that book, the apostle Paul, and I told her a little bit about his story. How he went from being a persecutor with the name of Saul, to being persecuted as he went fearlessly to tell the Good News as Paul. I think, once I broke it all down for her, she calmed down and began to relax. I didn't tell her that she couldn't feel frustated or upset about being stuck in the hospital... again. But rather, it's okay and human of us to feel like that, and heck, I'd feel like that too. However, do not give dominion to the enemy by allowing the spirit fear to consume her. Of course in keeping with our smart alec sense of humor, I said "Do me a favor? Lie to me and tell me this helped." She laughed and said thanks that she did feel a little more peaceful. But knowing Lou, she'll get antsy again, but I'll keep an eye out for her and let you guys know what's up... I humbly say thanks to you for your prayers and good wishes... It has done more wonders than you know. It has strengthened my resolve to keep my faith entact. Can't ask for more than that!

No comments: