Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Little Humble Pie...

Hi folks,
Just getting ready to head into another weekend. Last weekend, I got to spend it with the gal pal... that was so much fun. We went to a fish fry and I got a small lesson in gratitude. I usually try to be a humble sort because trying to be something that you're not is usually a boot to the butt waiting to happen. My gal pal is in a wheelchair, I don't mind that at all. She is just perfect to me as she is. She inspires me everyday and I'm crazy about her... I went into the fish fry and even though I don't like fish, I sat and ate way too much other food. My tummy was overloaded on everything else there was to eat. I sat with my gal pal and some of her friends. It was neat cause they don't see me very often so they pepper with me questions from time to time. I met a young guy in a wheelchair who suffers from cerebral palsy. He was adopted by a lady who has a couple of other kids who are healthy. She chose to adopt this little guy knowing that he'd be a handful. I was amazed at the patience she showed in taking care of and loving him. I swallowed the lump in my throat cause as patient as I'd like to think that I am... this woman just put me to shame. Her boy is 15 now and is getting too big for her to take physical care of. But she's determined to make a go of it as best she can. I was thinking how unfair it was that he suffers from that disease. I mean, I do wish he was healthy. Absolutely I want him to be happy and to know what it is to live life to the fullest. To know what it'd be like to play sports. To have a girlfriend. To drive a car.... all these things that we all take for granted. Then I looked at my gal pal and she put it in complete perspective for me. She has the attitude that she was chosen by God to be afflicted with her ailment so that He could use her to touch other lives for Him. Looking at the relationship between this mother and her disabled son, I got a big heaping helping of gratitude that I got to meet him. His joy was pure innocence. His life and his infirmities are being used to touch other people's lives. It really made me realize how truly blessed I am. I looked back over at the gal pal... I fell even deeper in love with her watching her eat a piece of cheesecake. I am so grateful for her... just as she is. I wouldn't be the man that she thinks that I am without her...

No comments: