Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sick to death of...

My, my, my...
It's been a strange week. I've had a couple of setbacks, but I've been able to still feel very positive and (dare I say it) hopeful! At the end of last week, a very close friend of my sister's, lost her 17 year-old son in a car wreck just a few miles from my house. Also, the brother of the team president of our hockey team passed away the same day from liver failure and lung cancer. On Sunday (father's day) a long-time friend of mine, Julie, lost her battle with cancer over at hospice. I had known Julie for about 20 years... She was a doll. She would call me on the phone at work at the hospital anytime she saw me broadcasting on TV (she would be a patient at the time), and tell me that she was watching me on TV and how cool that was. I would just shrug it off and say thanks because I always downplay my supposed 'celebrity'... But now it's sad because I didn't give more consideration to the fact that she was a big fan of mine. I didn't consider it before because I never wanted to have an 'ego'... so I always downplayed any compliments. But I have learned from Julie's passing that she had an appreciation for life and the people in it... She was a pediatric nurse and a might fine one. She will be missed by her hubby and family obviously. But she will also be missed by her hospital family as well... Enjoy paradise Julie, say hello to my parents for me...
Despite the events of the last week, I have realized in my heart that I am yearning for more... more out of my life. I've been frustrated at times but I've learned that I have to like myself and to do more for those around me if I am to expect greater things in my life... I am learning to appreciate life a whole lot more than I did before... I used to consider myself a fatalist because to be honest, I wasn't truly happy with my life. I was miserable because I was missing something. We are all empty in some aspect of ourselves. Some have financial success, but are missing something emotionally or spiritually. Some have their poop in a group in terms of being responsible but aren't either financially or physically able to do anything. We all have our shortcomings. But I've learned that instead of seeing each other's imperfections, that it is more fulfilling to focus on what is good about each other... and to appreciate that!

6 comments:

Maggs said...

My mom used to say funerals always came in threes. Either way, what a tough time right now!

I look up to you, Mik. I wish I could be religious like you.

Mik said...

I wouldn't say I'm religious so much as I would say I have a relationship with God... Many people automatically assume that when you "get religion", that it means freedom from problems and troubles... The actual truth is that you get 'peace' during difficulties. Problems and troubles still come just like everyone else experiences. I struggle EVERY single day with all kinds of issues... and they don't involve religion... I struggle with everyday life... my life at work, home, family... everything. I have to make a choice every day how I am going to react to the issues in my life. Just like the alcoholic has to decide if he is going to continue drinking or stop, or the drug addict has to decide if he or she is going to use again or not... I have to make a decision every day of my life (several times a day) as to how I will react to things, be they good or bad... I CHOOSE to embrace what is good. It's not always the easy thing to do... some consider it lame, boring, not cool, and a whole host of other things... but as I continue to do that, it does get easier... but it also takes work... but the biggest misconception about Christianity... is that if you always are (trying) doing the right thing, then it must be boring... I can tell you Maggs, it is anything BUT boring... making the wrong choices... now that IS the easy way live... Doing what is right... THAT, my friend can be a very hard proposition... But the peace that comes with it... is worth it all... We make mistakes like everyone else... I am NO BETTER than you are... I am not going to preach AT you... I just hope that when you are searching for peace in your heart, that you'll seek help from someone you feel trust or comfort with... Just keep finding reasons to smile Maggs... Like I always say... "it's not about seeing through each other- it's about seeing each other through..."

Hang in there Maggs,
Mik

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mik. I really needed to see this today. Please know, and take some peace in the fact that you have made a difference in someone's life today. Thank you so very much.

Axe said...

Mik, you are right on...about everything you said in this post. I've been to hell and back in my life and I can honetly say that I now HAVE to see the good in every second of existence.

I'm very sad for the people who lost their lives last week, but I think I am happy for Julie. I think death is a blessing.

I am also not at all "religious" but have unshakable faith in God, the force.
I hope you have a bitchin' weekend and enjoy every little moment of blissful breath.
Bye!

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

One of the biggest misconceptions others have about people of faith is that Christianity is a destination - it's not. It's an invitation to go on a journey that challenges you at every moment and rquires you to chose daily. The only promise you get is that you do not take the journey alone - Jesus walks with you. You are doing a beautiful job "walking the walk" and enriching our faith by sharing yours.
K+

Unknown said...

wow, I think I actually had something to say but after reading these wonderful comments it's all been said :) mik is so right. It's not religion, it's a relationship :)