Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Curveballs and Change-ups...

Hi all…
Y’know, sometimes you just gotta reach back and go for the fastball in life. You sit and look back at how sometimes life will present some challenges and throws us a curveball or a change up and we bite on it and end up in even more miserable circumstances. And when you look at it, the people involved are not able to do anything about it. I was sitting here mulling that over. I usually get over it when I start to think about how blessed I actually am when I think about my issues. The first thing that pops into my head is that my gal pal faces serious challenges every day in her wheelchair and she handles them without even batting an eye. She makes me realize that I don’t have much in the way of issues that I can’t solve. She inspires me to want to do more for others instead of myself. Well, sometimes, we get that curveball or change up that we weren’t expecting and we swing at it and miss. Or better put, we get reminders of how blessed we really are. One such a reminder is a young man named Kyle. Kyle is a 14 year old freshman in high school. Kyle was injured in November playing in a hockey game down in Dayton and is now paralyzed from the chest down. Kyle is still in a hospital trying to stay alive and cope with his new situation. Don’t know about you, but for me, to have such a life altering change to your world, would be dang near impossible to deal with… and at the age of 14 years old??? On Wednesday, January 14th, there’s going to be fund raiser from 5-9pm for Kyle at Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck (or better known as BW3’s) in Oregon, OH. We (Myself, Jamo, and Dave… better known as the ‘3 for All’ radio program) will be broadcasting from 6-9pm ET. BW3 or as we call them ‘B-dubbs’, is going to donate 10 percent of all the food bills from 5p-9p to Kyle and his family to help offset his medical bills, which are astronomical. We’re honored to be allowed to be a small part of this event. You can listen to the show at Toledo Sports Radio online. If you’re in the area, please stop out and say hello. If you’re listening from anywhere else, leave a note saying hi if you would be so kind. It would really help raise some spirits around here.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hey Mik- I'm sorry to hear about Kyle. That's very hard to deal with, and I can't imagine what it would be like, but I have to say, I pray he and his family will work through it, with peace and comfort. Although we can't know how it feels, and what it would be like to spend life as a parapeligic (SPELLING! SORRY!)or a quad (sorry, can't spell the rest!) I do have to say that folks can take it as a fact that happens and move on to be happy and content, or they can rant and rave and be angry the rest of their lives. I see how your sweetheart is such a positive influence on you and I'll bet so many others. I have a cousin who broke his neck when he was 15 playing hockey. He's been in a wheelchair over half his life now, and although I love Scott, he has always been the one to be angry. Now, again, I might be the same if it were me, but I know too, there were excersises and stuff he could have done through PT to strengthen his arms and hands, but he quit and gave up and now can't move anything from the neck down. I find that a shame. He only damaged a part of his body,but it didn't damage the person. He chose to remain damaged and angry. I pray this young man will find something where he can be healed, and I will pray for him and his family- but on the chance he is going to remain paralyzed, I pray somewhere down the road, he will find a way to use his experiences of this to help others and be positive. God Bless you Mik- thanks for the visit (GO BEBE!!)

ADB said...

Mik,
Kyle's is a tragic case, and you can only hope his condition will improve. He is yet young, and therefore stands a better chance.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Mik....and yes, your gf has overcome insurmountable hardships and I totally understand her being such an inspiration to you.

Joann said...

Mik, I'm so sorry to hear about Kyle... what an obstacle to face at 14 !!! I would have loved to hear the radio show, so sorry I'm just now getting this!! Your Gal Pal is very blessed to have you in her life, too!! And I know she knows it!!